Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Inspiration Wednesday: A Monster at the End of This Book


Watching Sesame Street (warning: loud! NSFW!) now is surreal compared to when I was a child 8 million years ago. Gone are the scruffy Muppets that looked handmade & the city streets that were believably run down. The kids and even grown-up actors could have been our neighbors and the occasional guest star flew right over my head. Clean/shiny/new/technocolor Sesame Street just makes me long for that grit. Plus you rarely see a kid walking his llama.

Of course NYC in the late-70's/early-80s was a very different place than now too.  But there were no pink fairies, gag. OK, I'm old. Get off my lawn!

But my daughter loves Elmo so we'd occasionally check in for the last 20 minutes of the show. I kinda love Elmo's World too - probably because it's a blatant ripoff of Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Our flat-screen broke last month and while we decide on the replacement we've just been using our computers to keep up with our favorite TV shows. Hulu has a lot of Sesame Street clips but not enough Elmo for Juliet's appetite so we've expanded to my old-time favorites. Turns out she hates Kermit but loves Grover. Probably due to reading The Monster at the End of This Book.

Grover is one of my favorite Muppets - he's brazen but easily scared, adventurous but messes up a lot, goofy but lovable. You know, like your own little monster. This book is a whole lot of fun packed into a short story. I don't want to ruin the ending but the title is not a lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment