Friday, March 19, 2010

Friday Fun: Oh, you're THAT Kristin Burns aka Googlegangers

 Happy just THINKING of all my new Googlegangers - Big Pink Photography

Like many people, when I married, I changed my last name. It was a decision I didn't take lightly but I'm glad I made the switch since now my husband, daughter and I all share a family name. But one consequence was going from a much less common name to a more common one. Sure, that makes things easier when spelling it or pronouncing it. But I also gained a whole bunch more Gogglegangers.

What the heck is a Googlegänger? Glad you asked. Basically a person with your exact same name & spelling who may come up in a simple web search for you. I am certain someone has lost a job prospect (or worse, been falsely arrested) due to someone confusing their Jim Smith with the ax murdering Jim Smith. But some people, like those profiled in this funny 2008 New York Times article, embrace their namesakes and their inevitable similarities.

My matches run the gamut, but if you're looking for me online, where are a few detours you may take along the way.

 Marketing & Communications Manager for Undergraduate Admissions at UC Davis
Kick-ass rock photographer & chronicler of the Smashing Pumpkins
 Realtor in Northern Virginia

Hartford CT Radio DJ & bulldog rescuer

I don't know any of these women personally, but I find myself rooting for them. Yes, even the one who has the coveted URL of our name. Who knows? I may someday need a house in Northern Virginia and why wouldn't I call on my Googleganger.

But my favorite namesake may be the fictional character, Kristin Burns, in James Patterson's You've Been Warned. I have not read this book yet, but next time I'm heading to Cape Cod I might have to throw it in my beach bag. This quote alone from the plot description is just like looking in the mirror:



"Kristin searches desperately for what's real through the lens of her camera, only knowing two things for sure: that no place is safe and the fate of everyone she loves lies in her hands."

Words to live (or die!!!) by. And pass on to my other Kristin Burns's.

No comments:

Post a Comment