Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Inspiration Wednesday: Zen Family Habits


Nothing wrong with a brother an sister just playing in the leaves - credit Kristin Burns

I get it.  We're parents; we're busy. But there the busy you need to do - pay bills, grocery shop, make dinner - and the busy you feel guilted into doing. The lessons, playdates, carpools, toys out the wazoo.

Since Baby Einstein was debunked (who honestly thought a video was going to turn their children into baby geniuses?) I feel an even stronger pull to simplify our child's life and provide her with the space to learn & grow. One great resource is the Zen Family Habits blog.

My husband has subscribed to this for a while and I recently added it to my overflowing GoogleReader too. I love their attitude of encouraging children and families as a whole to enjoy themselves and not about the stuff you are being advertised into thinking is necessary. Check them out if you'd like to have a different voice in your head.

Some of the best advice I've gleaned so far boils down to:

1. Don't overschedule
2. Have fun with your kids
3. Live your own life
4. Ask for help
5. Simplify your stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment