Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Inspiration Wednesdays: The Sound of Music

 

Every February, our friends run WALOMM (watch a lot of movies month) - a contest to see how many movies you can watch during the shortest/coldest/dreariest month. When we started it, let's just say the various streams of media saturation were a bit dryer and the bulk of movies were watching in theaters, on DVD or TV. Now we've got the internets and Netflix and all sorts of newfangled portable contraptions, plus more unemployment. Which translates into more competition.

So this month, I'd decided to use my weekly Inspiration Wednesday to highlight a movie either beloved by me in childhood or the child in me as an adult. In no way an exhaustive list, I think these are movies I'll enjoy watching with my kids too.

First up, The Sound of Music.

 
I took this tour in 1999 but Aissy55 took this photo. Highly recommend.

The story of a 'young girl who will never be a nun," the movie somehow features Nazis, motherless children, an only-slightly closeted Uncle Max and a saucy Baroness while still remaining one of the best love stories out there. It may be scary and sad at times but I'll take that over a sacharine cartoon any day. Plus Maria is a lovely role-model - honest, inventive (her curtain-clothes rival Scarlett O'Hara's), brave and independent.

Of course all my daughter noticed about it when I had it on in the background the other day were the songs - particularly rocking out to "My Favorite Things," "Do Re Mi," and "The Lonely Goatherd." She even sang along (in her way...) to "Edelweiss" - one of the lullabies I sang her as an infant.

What favorite childrens movies should I include this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment