Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Keep calm


Oh, I knew I loved that stiff upper lip Britishness

This week has been B-A-N-A-N-A-S (are the kids still using that?) with an art fair, day of photo shoots, tree buying, job interview & general holiday mayhem.

I haven't been posting a lot of the photos I have been shooting lately because my clients are giving some as gifts and the receivers read my blog. Man, there will be a glut of "kids in front of Christmas tree" posts come Boxing Day.

Speaking of Boxing Day, it's a British holiday celebrated the day after Christmas. It was traditionally a day to give gifts to those with less. Hasn't really caught on in America - unless you count returning-crap-you-hate. Since it falls on a Saturday this year, I've been invited to a few Boxing Day parties. Which sounds nice, but after the glut of food, family & frivolity in the weeks leading up to Christmas, I'd much prefer a spa day or at least a couple of hours reading in bed.

Another British tradition that seems to caught on this year (at least in the design world) is the slogan "Keep Calm and Carry On." I've seen it emblazoned on tee-shirts, holiday ornaments, posters. My favorite so far is the baby onesie.





I know this slogan was popularized during the London blitz in WWII but the message seems to resonate today. In my own life, both family and friends have had a rough year. So whether it's money troubles, marital woes, general holiday mayhem or poor health, here's hoping a little British resolve will help ease the burden. Until then, there's another British import I can recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment