Monday, August 31, 2009

Monthly goals - September - updated mid-month


Am I the steamroller or the train?

August flew by! Finished up my contract with iVillage.com mid-month so now my days are free again. Ahhhhh.... More importantly we finally found a lovely babysitter for my daughter 2 mornings a week which has already made me much more work-centered during that time. I feel like since we're paying someone, I should REALLY be productive!

My friend Sara turned me on to Modish - and their monthly goal meetup. Sara is an amazing printmaker with a great Etsy shop if you're looking for beautiful textiles for your home. Who knew a dishtowel could be so cute? I figure if she's brave enough, I can try too.

This my first month trying it out. I'm a little nervous putting this out there since I'm a perfectionist and I hate the idea of not finishing everything in September. But between work, a new focus on this business, a baby & a husband in his first semester teaching, I'm going to cut myself some slack.

1. Get the word out!
- Submit application for Sunnyside Craft Fair (teaming up with another crafter)

- Post photo cards at some local businesses once they arrive (est. delivery 9/4) done
- Twitter daily at kburnsphoto done so far!

2. Turn that word into action!
- Book 3 new clients for September photo shoots  2 done
- Contact past clients about print ordering and testimonials

3. Plan ahead for a busy Fall!
- Schedule 1 Boston-area day of mini-sessions done but still not fully booked yet

- Research holiday card ideas started

4. Enhance my website!
- Upload online gallery done!!!! This was a big one

- Add testimonials/client reviews

Seems possible, but let me know if you guys have advice on keeping productive and creative while still chugging along. Hmm, I guess that makes me the train...

13 comments:

  1. Welcome to the monthly meet up, Kristin! Don't worry about not finishing all of your goals, most of us don't! :) Or at least we finished modified versions of our original goals. It looks like you've got a full plated, good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie! Off to check out everyone else's goal too. Very inspired by all the creativity you guys are bringing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin, nice to see you here. I think that cutting yourself slack is a great trick for a perfectionist, especially with the workload you carry in your personal life. Your goals are very action oriented and achievable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristin
    Great goals, and just in case you haven't read back on any previous monthly goals, there are many times where goals switch mid-month, people plain run out of time, or are too ambitious with their goals list - I have done all of these things. Your list looks great, only way to find out if it is do-able is to try it out and adjust as you go. Welcome!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristin -
    Your goals are so well thought out and practical - solid steps in expanding/growing your business. Good luck with tackling them, and thank you so much for the photo tip offer.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristin - good luck for Sept. & welcome to the biz tips. its a little nerve racking putting it out there, but its great to see how far you've come in the month. (+ all the support in the internets for indi biz!!) Good luck! :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi kristin,

    thanks for stopping by my blog! looking at your goals, they are all very positive and action oriented, great job! best of luck to you this month, i look forward to seeing your progress next month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice in these comments, Kristin. I think we all make our lists each month, do our best and adjust as we go. It's nice to have a checkpoint when we all do most of our work from home. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Kristin! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your photography. It's very real and just precious. I wish you were in our area.

    You have some great goals, but don't kick yourself if you don't reach them all. They are goals, not a to do list.

    I just read your comment on my goals and you are too kind. I had no idea that doing my own thing would be so hard. Balancing the marketing, the sales, and production is a load! I've been doing good on the marketing side and getting bink & boo some publicity, but I gotta get those sales in sister!

    I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

    I went out today and gave some of my favorite locally-owned stores my photo cards. One shop even wants to team up for a day long multi-session photo shoot in her store's back garden. Very excited! Plus another local crafter emailed me about sharing a table at next month's craft fair.

    I'm going to try to go easy on myself but I really feel positive right now about getting things started. I won't say "getting things done" yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sound busy but your list seems achievable! It's good how you've refined it with points under each category. Flexibility is key I think because there's always things we forget about that happen in life. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it exciting to verbalize the direction you want your biz to take? I've had months that I've accomplished everything and months I've accomplished nothing on my list. Ultimately you learn to prioritize and gain perspective. Hooray for perspective!

    Wishing you a creative September!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kedzie,

    I agree with the whole babysitter thing. it's hard. Good luck with your goals and your application for the Sunnyside Craft Fair. Keep me posted and let me know how it goes.

    x Cheri
    http://www.orglamix.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete